1. FeiginVL, ForouzanfarMH, KrishnamurthiR, MensahGA, ConnorM, et al. (2014) Global and regional burden of stroke during 1990–2010: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 383: 245–254.
2. BosMJ, KoudstaalPJ, HofmanA, IkramMA (2014) Modifiable etiological factors and the burden of stroke from the Rotterdam Study: a population-based cohort study. PLoS Med 11: e1001634.
3. MahmoodSS, LevyD, VasanRS, WangTJ (2014) The Framingham Heart Study and the epidemiology of cardiovascular disease: a historical perspective. Lancet 383: 999–1008.
4. KannelWB, DawberTR, KaganA, RevotskieN, StokesJ3rd (1961) Factors of risk in the development of coronary heart disease - six year follow-up experience. The Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 55: 33–50.
5. WolfPA, DawberTR, ThomasHEJr, KannelWB (1978) Epidemiologic assessment of chronic atrial fibrillation and risk of stroke: the Framingham study. Neurology 28: 973–977.
6. O'DonnellMJ, XavierD, LiuL, ZhangH, ChinSL, et al. (2010) Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control study. Lancet 376: 112–123.
7. MallmannAB, FuchsSC, GusM, FuchsFD, MoreiraLB (2012) Population-attributable risks for ischemic stroke in a community in South Brazil: a case-control study. PLoS ONE 7: e35680.
8. Prospective Studies Collaboration (2007) LewingtonS, WhitlockG, ClarkeR, SherlikerP, et al. (2007) Blood cholesterol and vascular mortality by age, sex, and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of individual data from 61 prospective studies with 55,000 vascular deaths. Lancet 370: 1829–1839.
9. PetersSA, HuxleyRR, WoodwardM (2014) Diabetes as a risk factor for stroke in women compared with men: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 64 cohorts, including 775 385 individuals and 12 539 strokes. Lancet In press.
10. ZhengW, McLerranDF, RollandBA, FuZ, BoffettaP, et al. (2014) Burden of total and cause-specific mortality related to tobacco smoking among adults aged >45 years in Asia: a pooled analysis of 21 cohorts. PLoS Medicine 11: e 1001631.
11. GiovinoGA, MirzaSA, SametJM, GuptaPC, JarvisMJ, et al. (2012) Tobacco use in 3 billion individuals from 16 countries: an analysis of nationally representative cross-sectional household surveys. Lancet 380: 668–679.
12. BurtVL, WheltonP, RoccellaEJ, BrownC, CutlerJA, et al. (1995) Prevalence of hypertension in the US adult population: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1991. Hypertension 25: 305–313.
13. Lloyd-SherlockPeter, BeardJohn, MinicuciNadia, EbrahimShah, ChatterjiSomnath (2014) Hypertension among older adults in low- and middle-income countries: prevalence, awareness and control. Int J Epidemiol 43: 116–128.
14. BaigentC, KeechA, KearneyPM, BlackwellL, BuckG, et al. (2005) Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' (CTT) Collaborators Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins. Lancet 366: 1267–1278.