1. Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, Gamble T, Hosseinipour MC, Kumarasamy N, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:493–505. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1105243 21767103
2. Quinn TC, Wawer MJ, Sewankambo N, Serwadda D, Li C, Wabwire-Magnen F, et al. Viral load and heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:921–9. doi: 10.1056/NEJM200003303421303 10738050
3. 90-90-90: An Ambitious Treatment Target to Help End the AIDS epidemic. Geneva, Switzerland: UNAIDS; 2014.
4. Gardner EM, McLees MP, Steiner JF, Del Rio C, Burman WJ. The spectrum of engagement in HIV care and its relevance to test-and-treat strategies for prevention of HIV infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;365:493–505.
5. White House Office of National AIDS Policy. National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States: Updated to 2020. 2015 July [Cited 2019 February 1]. Available from: https://files.hiv.gov/s3fs-public/nhas-update.pdf.
6. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Surveillance Report, 2017. 2018;29 [Cited 2019 March 4]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/library/reports/surveillance/cdc-hiv-surveillance-report-2017-vol-29.pdf
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data—United States and 6 dependent areas, 2016. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2018;24 [Cited 2019 February 1]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/library/reports/surveillance/cdc-hiv-surveillance-supplemental-report-vol-24-4.pdf
8. Committee on Public Financing and Delivery of HIV Care & Board on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. Public Financing and Delivery of HIV/AIDS Care: Securing the Legacy of Ryan White. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine; 2005.
9. Health Resources and Services Administration. Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program. Annual Client-Level Data Report. Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Services Report. 2017 [Cited 2019 April 23]. Available from: https://hab.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hab/data/datareports/RWHAP-annual-client-level-data-report-2017.pdf
10. Petterson SM, Liaw WR, Phillips RL, Rabin DL, Meyers DS, Bazemore AW. Projecting U.S. primary care physician workforce needs: 2010–2025. Ann Fam Med. 2013;10:503–9.
11. Chandrsekar P, Havlicheck D, Johnson LB. Infectious disease subspecialty: Declining demand challenges and opportunities. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:1593–8. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu656 25148890
12. Weiser J, Beer L, West BT, Duke CC, Gremel GW, Skarbinski J. Qualifications, demographics, satisfaction, and future capacity of the HIV care provider workforce in the United States, 2013–2014. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;63:966–75. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw442 27358352
13. HRSA-SPNS Workforce Capacity Building Initiative. Expanding HIV Care for People Living with HIV: A Stepwise Approach for Health Care Organizations Seeking to Add HIV Care or to Increase Services for PLWH [Cited 2020 January 28]. In: TargetHIV [Internet]. Available from: https://targethiv.org/library/expanding-care-people-living-hiv-toolkit-practice-transformation
14. HRSA-SPNS Workforce Capacity Building Initiative. Optimizing the Care Team: Lessons Learned, Best Practices, Critical Issues, and Site Examples [Cited 2020 January 28]. In: TargetHIV [Internet]. Available from: https://targethiv.org/library/optimizing-care-team-lessons-learned-best-practices-critical-issues-and-site-examples
15. HRSA-SPNS Workforce Capacity Building Initiative. The PEACCH Tool: Patient Engagement and Care Coordination in HIV Health [Cited 2020 January 28]. In: TargetHIV [Internet]. Available from: https://targethiv.org/library/patient-engagement-and-care-coordination-hiv-health-peacch-tool
16. Harris PA, Taylor R, Thielke R, Payne J, Gonzalez N, Conde JG. Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform. 2009;42:377–81. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010 18929686
17. Bodenheimer T, Ghorob A, Willard-Grace R, Grumbach K. The 10 building blocks of high-performing primary care. Annals of Family Medicine. 2014;12:166–71. doi: 10.1370/afm.1616 24615313
18. Health Resources & Services Administration HIV/AIDS Bureau. HIV/AIDS Bureau Performance Measures. 2017 [Cited 2019 March 4]. Available from: https://hab.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hab/clinical-quality-management/coremeasures.pdf
19. Department of Health and Human Services. Ending the HIV Epidemic: A Plan for America. 2019 [Cited 2019 February 15]. Available from: https://files.hiv.gov/s3fs-public/ending-the-hiv-epidemic-flyer.pdf
20. Shade SB, Sackett N, Khamarko K, Koester KA, Bie J, Newberry J, et al. Quality of comprehensive HIV care in underserved communities: does clinical training lead to improvement. Am J Med Qual. 2013;28:143–50. doi: 10.1177/1062860612453756 22892826
21. Spach DH, Wood BR, Karpenko A, Unruh KT, Kinney RG, Roscoe C, et al. Creating a National HIV Curriculum. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016;27:261–73. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.002 27086188
22. Selke HM, Kimaiyo S, Sidle JE, Vedanthan R, Tierney WM, Shen C, et al. Task-shifting of antiretroviral delivery from health care workers to persons living with HIV/AIDS: clinical outcomes of a community-based program in Kenya. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;55:483–90. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e3181eb5edb 20683336
23. Rabkin M, de Pinho H, Michaels-Strasser S, Naitore D, Rawat A, Topp SM. Strengthening the health workforce to support integration of HIV and noncommunicable disease services in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS. 2018;32(Suppl 1):S47–S54.
24. Cunningham WE, Weiss RE, Nakazono T, Malek MA, Shoptaw SJ, Ettner SL, et al. Effectiveness of a Peer Navigation Intervention to Sustain Viral Suppression Among HIV-Positive Men and Transgender Women Released From Jail: The LINK LA Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2018;178:542–53. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.0150 29532059
25. Broaddus MR, Hanna CR, Schumann C, Meier A. "She makes me feel that I'm not alone": linkage to Care Specialists provide social support to people living with HIV. AIDS Care. 2015;27:1104–7. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2015.1028882 25854534
26. Saag MS. Ryan White: an unintentional home builder. AIDS Read. 2009:19:166–8. 19554735