1. Marmot M. The health gap: the challenge of an unequal world. Lancet. 2015; 386:2442–4. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00150-6 26364261
2. Stringhini S, Carmeli C, Jokela M, Avendaño M, Muennig P, Guida F, et al. Socioeconomic status and the 25 x 25 risk factors as determinants of premature mortality: a multicohort study and meta-analysis of 1.7 million men and women. Lancet. 2017; 389(10075):1229–37. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32380-7 28159391
3. Rehm J, Imtiaz S. Alcohol consumption as a risk factor for global burden of disease. A narrative review. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2016; 11(1):37. doi: 10.1186/s13011-016-0081-2 27793173
4. World Health Organization. Global status report on alcohol and health. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2014.
5. Bellis MA, Hughes K, Nicholls J, Sheron N, Gilmore I, Jones L. The alcohol harm paradox: Using a national survey to explore how alcohol may disproportionately impact health in deprived individuals. BMC Public Health. 2016; 18(16):111.
6. Degerud E, Ariansen I, Ystrom E, Graff-Iversen S, Høiseth G, Mørland J, et al. Life course socioeconomic position, alcohol drinking patterns in midlife, and cardiovascular mortality: Analysis of Norwegian population-based health surveys. PLoS Med. 2018;15(1): e1002476. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002476
7. Roerecke M, Kaczorowski J, Tobe SW, Gmel G, Hasan OSM, Rehm J. The effect of a reduction in alcohol consumption on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta-analysis of trial data. Lancet Public Health. 2017;2: e108–e120.
8. Rehm J, Anderson P, Fischer B, Gual A, Room R. Policy implications of marked reversals of population life expectancy caused by substance use. BMC Med. 2016; 14:42. doi: 10.1186/s12916-016-0590-x 27001105
9. Case A, Deaton A. Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2015; 112(49):15078–83. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1518393112 26575631
10. Imtiaz S, Probst C, Rehm J. Substance use and population life expectancy in the United States: Interactions with health inequalities and implications for policy. Drug Alcohol Rev. in press.
11. Shiels MS, Chernyavskiy P, Anderson WF, Best AF, Haozous EA, Hartge P, et al. Trends in premature mortality in the USA by sex, race, and ethnicity from 1999 to 2014: An analysis of death certificate data. Lancet. 2017; 389(10073):1043–1054. Epub 2017 Jan 26. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30187-3
12. Holmes J, Meng Y, Meier PS, Brennan A, Angus C, Campbell-Burton A, et al. Effects of minimum unit pricing for alcohol on different income and socioeconomic groups: A modelling study. Lancet. 2014; 383(9929):1655–64. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62417-4 24522180