1. Budget of the U.S. Government. A New Foundation for American Greatness. https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf. Accessed 25 May 2017.
2. US Agency for International Development: Foreign Aid Explorer. https://explorer.usaid.gov/aid-dashboard.html. Accessed 19 April 2017.
3. Easterly WR. The white man's burden: why the West's efforts to aid the rest have done so much ill and so little good: Penguin; 2006.
4. Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid? http://www.nber.org/papers/w7108.pdf. Accessed 19 April 2017.
5. Deaton A. The great escape: health, wealth, and the origins of inequality: Princeton University Press; 2013.
6. Dieleman JL, Graves C, Johnson E, Templin T, Birger M, Hamavid H, et al. Sources and focus of health development assistance, 1990–2014. Jama. 2015;313(23):2359–68. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.5825 26080340
7. Lu C, Michaud CM, Gakidou E, Khan K, Murray CJ. Effect of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation on diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine coverage: an independent assessment. The Lancet. 2006;368(9541):1088–95.
8. Bendavid E, Holmes CB, Bhattacharya J, Miller G. HIV development assistance and adult mortality in Africa. Jama. 2012;307(19):2060–7. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.2001 22665105
9. Jakubowski A, Stearns S, Kruk M, Angeles G, Thirumurthy H. The US President’s Malaria Initiative and under-5 child mortality in sub-Saharan Africa: A difference-in-differences analysis. PLoS Med. 2017;14(6):e1002319. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002319
10. Bump JB, Clemens MA, Demombynes G, Haddad L. Concerns about the Millennium Villages project report. The Lancet. 2012;379(9830):1945.
11. Bradley DJ. Morbidity and mortality at Pare-Taveta Kenya and Tanzania 1954–66: the effects of a period of malaria control. 1991.
12. Pew Research Center Global Attitudes & Trends. http://www.pewglobal.org/. Accessed 19 April 2017.
13. Gallup JL, Sachs JD. The economic burden of malaria. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene. 2001;64(1 suppl):85–96.