1. The United Nations. The Millennium Development Goals Report 2015. 2015. Available from: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/2015_MDG_Report/pdf/MDG%202015%20rev%20(July%201).pdf (accessed 13 September 2017).
2. The World Bank. World Bank Open Data. 2017. Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/. (accessed 13 September 2017).
3. Bor J, Herbst AJ, Newell ML, Barnighausen T. Increases in adult life expectancy in rural South Africa: valuing the scale-up of HIV treatment. Science 2013; 339(6122): 961–5. doi: 10.1126/science.1230413 23430655
4. Johnson LF, May MT, Dorrington RE, Cornell M, Boulle A, Egger M, et al. Estimating the impact of antiretroviral treatment on adult mortality trends in South Africa: A mathematical modelling study. PLoS Med. 2017;14(11):e1002468. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002468
5. Fox MP, Rosen S. A new cascade of HIV care for the era of "treat all". PLoS Med. 2017;14(4):e1002268. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002268 28399160
6. Bor J, Rosen S, Chimbindi N, et al. Mass HIV Treatment and Sex Disparities in Life Expectancy: Demographic Surveillance in Rural South Africa. PLoS Med. 2015;12(11):e1001905; doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001905 26599699
7. The South African Pharmacy Council. Minimum standard for the selling of HIV screening test kits. 2016. Available from: https://www.gov.za/sites/www.gov.za/files/40522_bn194.pdf (accessed 13 September 2017).
8. Choko AT, MacPherson P, Webb EL, et al. Uptake, Accuracy, Safety, and Linkage into Care over Two Years of Promoting Annual Self-Testing for HIV in Blantyre, Malawi: A Community-Based Prospective Study. PLoS Med. 2015;12(9):e1001873. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001873 26348035
9. World Health Organization. Guidelines for managing advanced HIV disease and rapid initiation of antiretroviral therapy. 2017. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/255884/1/9789241550062-eng.pdf (accessed 13 September 2017).
10. Republic of South Africa Department of Health. Implementation of the universal test and treat strategy for HIV positive patients and differentiated care for stable patients. 2016. Available from: http://www.sahivsoc.org/Files/22%208%2016%20Circular%20UTT%20%20%20Decongestion%20CCMT%20Directorate.pdf (accessed 13 September 2017).
11. De Neve JW, Garrison-Desany H, Andrews KG, et al. Harmonization of community health worker programs for HIV: A four-country qualitative study in Southern Africa. PLoS Med. 2017;14(8):e1002374. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002374 28792502
12. Geldsetzer P, Francis JM, Ulenga N, et al. The impact of community health worker-led home delivery of antiretroviral therapy on virological suppression: a non-inferiority cluster-randomized health systems trial in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. BMC Health Serv Res 2017; 17(1): 160. doi: 10.1186/s12913-017-2032-7 28228134
13. The Guardian. How access to HIV treatment is being transformed through innovation. 2017. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/gilead-partner-zone/2017/mar/02/how-access-to-hiv-treatment-is-being-transformed-through-innovation (accessed 15 September 2017).
14. Republic of South Africa Department of Health. Department of Health Strategic Plan 2015–2020. 2015. Available from: http://www.health.gov.za/index.php/2014-03-17-09-09-38/strategic-documents/category/229-2015str?download=1057:strategic-plan-2015 (accessed 13 September 2017).
15. Joubert J, Rao C, Bradshaw D, Vos T, Lopez AD. Evaluating the quality of national mortality statistics from civil registration in South Africa, 1997–2007. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(5):e64592. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0064592 23724066
16. Statistics South Africa. Mortality and causes of death in South Africa, 2015: Findings from death notification. 2017. Available from: http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P03093/P030932015.pdf (accessed 16 September 2017).
17. Republic of South Africa Department of Health. National eHealth Strategy 2012–2017. 2012. Available from: https://www.health-e.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/South-Africa-eHealth-Strategy-2012-2017.pdf (accessed 19 September 2017).
18. United Nations General Assembly Resolution 70/1. Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 2015. Available from: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E (accessed 4 November 2015).
19. AVERT. Funding for HIV and AIDS. 2017. Available from: https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/global-response/funding (accessed 16 September 2017).
20. Copenhagen Consensus Center. Projects. 2017. Available from: http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com/projects (accessed 18 September 2017).
21. Lomborg B. The Nobel Laureates' Guide To The Smartest Targets For The World 2016–2030. Lowell, United States of America: Copenhagen Consensus Center USA Inc.; 2015.
22. Baltussen R, Niessen L. Priority setting of health interventions: the need for multi-criteria decision analysis. Cost Eff Resour Alloc 2006; 4: 14. doi: 10.1186/1478-7547-4-14 16923181
23. Mikkelsen E, Hontelez JA, Jansen MP, et al. Evidence for scaling up HIV treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: A call for incorporating health system constraints. PLoS Med. 2017;14(2):e1002240. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002240 28222126
24. Jaumotte F, Lall S, Papageorgiou C. Rising Income Inequality: Technology, or Trade and Financial Globalization? IMF Economic Review 2013; 61(2): 271–309.
25. Van de Poel E, Hosseinpoor AR, Speybroeck N, Van Ourti T, Vega J. Socioeconomic inequality in malnutrition in developing countries. Bull World Health Organ 2008; 86(4): 282–91. doi: 10.2471/BLT.07.044800 18438517
26. Ortblad KF, Salomon JA, Barnighausen T, Atun R. Stopping tuberculosis: a biosocial model for sustainable development. Lancet 2015; 386(10010): 2354–62. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00324-4 26515678
27. GRADE Working Group. Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2004; 328(7454): 1490. doi: 10.1136/bmj.328.7454.1490 15205295