1. Whiteford HA, Degenhardt L, Rehm J, Baxter AJ, Ferrari AJ, Erskine HE, et al. (2013) Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 382(9904):1575–86. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61611-6 23993280
2. Ferrari AJ, Norman RE, Freedman G, Baxter AJ, Pirkis JE, Harris MG, et al. (2014) The burden attributable to mental and substance use disorders as risk factors for suicide: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. PLoS One. 9(4):e91936. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091936 24694747
3. Prince M, Patel V, Saxena S, Maj M, Maselko J, Phillips MR, et al. (2007) No health without mental health. Lancet. 370(9590):859–77. 17804063
4. Patel V, Saxena S. (2014) Transforming lives, enhancing communities—innovations in global mental health. N Engl J Med. 370(6):498–501. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp1315214 24428425
5. Bloom DE, Cafiero ET, Jané-Llopis E. (2011) The global economic burden of non-communicable diseases. Geneva: World Economic Forum. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Harvard_HE_GlobalEconomicBurdenNonCommunicableDiseases_2011.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
6. Jenkins R, Baingana F, Ahmad R, McDaid D, Atun R. (2011) Social, economic, human rights and political challenges to global mental health. Ment Health Fam Med. 8(2):87–96. 22654971
7. World Health Organization. WHO Mental Health Gap Action Program. http://www.who.int/mental_health/mhgap/en/ Accessed April 21, 2015.
8. Mental Health Gap Action Programme. (2010) mhGAP intervention guide for mental, neurological and substance use disorders in non-specialized health settings. Geneva: World Health Organization. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241548069_eng.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
9. World Health Organization. (2011) Mental Health Atlas 2011. Geneva: World Health Organization. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9799241564359_eng.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
10. The Lancet. (2007) Global Mental Health 2007. http://www.thelancet.com/series/global-mental-health Accessed April 21, 2015.
11. PLOS Collections. (2010) Mental Health in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. http://www.ploscollections.org/article/browse/issue/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fissue.pcol.v07.i06 Accessed April 21, 2015.
12. Patel V, Jenkins R, Lund C, the PLoS Medicine Editors (2012) Putting Evidence into Practice: The PLoS Medicine Series on Global Mental Health Practice. PLoS Med 9(5): e1001226.
13. Pitt C, Lawn JE, Ranganathan M, Mills A, Hanson K. (2012) Donor Funding for Newborn Survival: An Analysis of Donor-Reported Data, 2002–2010. PLoSMed. 9(10):e1001332. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001332 23118619
14. Lu C, Schneider MT, Gubbins P, Leach-Kemon K, Jamison D, Murray CJL. (2010) Public financing of health in developing countries: impact of GDP growth, size of government and development assistance for health. Lancet. 375:1375–87. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60233-4 20381856
15. Ravishankar N, Gubbins P, Cooley RJ, Leach-Kemon K, Michaud CM, Jamison DT, et al. (2009) Financing global health: tracking development assistance for health from 1990 to 2007. Lancet. 373(9681):2113–2124. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60881-3 19541038
16. Powell-Jackson T, Borghi J, Mueller DH, Patouillard E, Mills A. (2006) Countdown to 2015: tracking donor assistance to maternal, newborn and child health. Lancet. 368(9541):1077–1087. 16997662
17. Greco G, Powell-Jackson T, Borghi J, Mills A. (2008) Countdown to 2015: Assessment of Donor Assistance to Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health between 2003 and 2006. Lancet. 371(9620):1268–1275. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60561-9 18406861
18. Pitt C, Greco G, Powell-Jackson T, Mills A. (2010) Countdown to 2015: assessment of official development assistance to maternal, newborn, and child health, 2003–08. Lancet. 376(9751):1485–1496. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61302-5 20850869
19. OECD (2015) OECD Statistics. http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode1 Accessed April 21, 2015.
20. OECD. List of DAC Members and Agencies. http://www.oecd.org/investment/stats/31738599.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
21. World Health Organization. (1992) The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders. Int Classif. 10:1–267.
22. OECD (2015) Technical Guide to terms and data in the Creditor Reporting System (CRS) Aid Activities database. http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/crsguide.htm Accessed April 21, 2015.
23. United Nations. (2012) World Population Prospects: The 2012 Revision. http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Excel-Data/population.htm Accessed April 21, 2015.
24. Lancet Global Mental Health Group. (2007) Scale up services for mental disorders: a call for action. Lancet. 370(9594):1241–52. 17804059
25. Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. (2014) Financing Global Health 2013: Transition in an Age of Austerity. Seattle, Washington. https://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/policy_report/2014/FGH2013/IHME_FGH2013_Full_Report.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
26. World Health Organization. (2014) Global Health Expenditure Database. Geneva: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/health-accounts/ghed/en/ Accessed April 21, 2015.
27. Gulland A. (2012) Mental health projects in developing countries share $19m investment. BMJ. 345:e6812. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e6812 23054186
28. Hyman S, Chisholm D, Kessler R, Patel V, Whiteford HA. (2006) Mental disorders. In: Jamison DT, Breman JG, Measham AR, Alleyne G, Claeson M, Evans DB, editors. Disease control priorities in developing countries. 2nd ed. New York: The World Bank & Oxford University Press.
29. Buttorff C, Hock RS, Weiss HA, Naik S, Araya R, Kirkwood BR, et al. (2012) Economic evaluation of a task-shifting intervention for common mental disorders in India. Bull World Health Organ. 90(11):813–21. doi: 10.2471/BLT.12.104133 23226893
30. Saraceno B, van Ommeren M, Batniji R, Cohen A, Gureje O, Mahoney J, et al. (2007) Barriers to improvement of mental health services in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet. 370(9593):1164–74. 17804061
31. Rajaraman D, Travasso S, Chatterjee A, Bhat B, Andrew G, Parab S, et al. (2012) The acceptability, feasibility and impact of a lay health counsellor delivered health promoting schools programme in India: a case study evaluation. BMC Health Serv Res. 12:127. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-127 22630607
32. Mendenhall E, De Silva MH, Hanlon C, Petersen I, Shidhaye R, Jordans M, et al. (2014) Acceptability and feasibility of using non-specialist health workers to deliver mental health care: stakeholder perceptions from the PRIME district sites in Ethiopia, India, Nepal, South Africa, and Uganda. Soc Sci Med. 118:33–42. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.07.057 25089962
33. World Health Organization. (2004) Summary report: Prevention of Mental Disorders—effective interventions and policy options. Geneva: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/entity/mental_health/evidence/en/prevention_of_mental_disorders_sr.pdf Accessed April 21, 2015.
34. Thornicroft G, Patel V. (2014) Including mental health among the new sustainable development goals. BMJ. 249:g5189.