1. LugerK, MaderAW, RichmondRK, SargentDF, RichmondTJ (1997) Crystal structure of the nucleosome core particle at 2.8 angstrom resolution. Nature 389: 251–260.
2. BellO, TiwariVK, ThomaNH, SchubelerD (2011) Determinants and dynamics of genome accessibility. Nat Rev Genet 12: 554–564.
3. MavrichTN, IoshikhesIP, VentersBJ, JiangC, TomshoLP, et al. (2008) A barrier nucleosome model for statistical positioning of nucleosomes throughout the yeast genome. Genome Res 18: 1073–1083.
4. LockeG, TolkunovD, MoqtaderiZ, StruhlK, MorozovAV (2010) High-throughput sequencing reveals a simple model of nucleosome energetics. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 20998–21003.
5. ValouevA, JohnsonSM, BoydSD, SmithCL, FireAZ, et al. (2011) Determinants of nucleosome organization in primary human cells. Nature 474: 516–520.
6. StruhlK, SegalE (2013) Determinants of nucleosome positioning. Nat Struct Mol Biol 20: 267–273.
7. KaplanN, MooreIK, Fondufe-MittendorfY, GossettAJ, TilloD, et al. (2009) The DNA-encoded nucleosome organization of a eukaryotic genome. Nature 458: 362–366.
8. ZhangY, MoqtaderiZ, RattnerBP, EuskirchenG, SnyderM, et al. (2009) Intrinsic histone-DNA interactions are not the major determinant of nucleosome positions in vivo. Nat Struct Mol Biol 16: 847–852.
9. SegalE, Fondufe-MittendorfY, ChenLY, ThastromA, FieldY, et al. (2006) A genomic code for nucleosome positioning. Nature 442: 772–778.
10. GaffneyDJ, McVickerG, PaiAA, Fondufe-MittendorfYN, LewellenN, et al. (2012) Controls of nucleosome positioning in the human genome. PLoS Genet 8: e1003036.
11. YuanGC, LiuYJ, DionMF, SlackMD, WuLF, et al. (2005) Genome-scale identification of nucleosome positions in S. cerevisiae. Science 309: 626–630.
12. MavrichTN, JiangCZ, IoshikhesIP, LiXY, VentersBJ, et al. (2008) Nucleosome organization in the Drosophila genome. Nature 453: 358–362.
13. SchonesDE, CuiKR, CuddapahS, RohTY, BarskiA, et al. (2008) Dynamic regulation of nucleosome positioning in the human genome. Cell 132: 887–898.
14. SasakiS, MelloCC, ShimadaA, NakataniY, HashimotoSI, et al. (2009) Chromatin-associated periodicity in genetic variation downstream of transcriptional start sites. Science 323: 401–404.
15. HughesAL, JinY, RandoOJ, StruhlK (2012) A functional evolutionary approach to identify determinants of nucleosome positioning: A unifying model for establishing the genome-wide pattern. Mol Cell 48: 5–15.
16. MatsumotoT, WuJZ, KanamoriH, KatayoseY, FujisawaM, et al. (2005) The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436: 793–800.
17. LiXY, WangXF, HeK, MaYQ, SuN, et al. (2008) High-resolution mapping of epigenetic modifications of the rice genome uncovers interplay between DNA methylation, histone methylation, and gene expression. Plant Cell 20: 259–276.
18. WangL, XieWB, ChenY, TangWJ, YangJY, et al. (2010) A dynamic gene expression atlas covering the entire life cycle of rice. Plant J 61: 752–766.
19. FengSH, CokusSJ, ZhangXY, ChenPY, BostickM, et al. (2010) Conservation and divergence of methylation patterning in plants and animals. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 8689–8694.
20. HeGM, ZhuXP, EllingAA, ChenLB, WangXF, et al. (2010) Global epigenetic and transcriptional trends among two rice subspecies and their reciprocal hybrids. Plant Cell 22: 17–33.
21. YanHH, KikuchiS, NeumannP, ZhangWL, WuYF, et al. (2010) Genome-wide mapping of cytosine methylation revealed dynamic DNA methylation patterns associated with genes and centromeres in rice. Plant J 63: 353–365.
22. ZemachA, McDanielIE, SilvaP, ZilbermanD (2010) Genome-Wide Evolutionary Analysis of Eukaryotic DNA Methylation. Science 328: 916–919.
23. ThurmanRE, RynesE, HumbertR, VierstraJ, MauranoMT, et al. (2012) The accessible chromatin landscape of the human genome. Nature 489: 75–82.
24. ZhangWL, WuYF, SchnableJC, ZengZX, FreelingM, et al. (2012) High-resolution mapping of open chromatin in the rice genome. Genome Res 22: 151–162.
25. JiaoYQ, WangYH, XueDW, WangJ, YanMX, et al. (2010) Regulation of OsSPL14 by OsmiR156 defines ideal plant architecture in rice. Nat Genet 42: 541–U536.
26. LuZF, YuH, XiongGS, WangJ, JiaoYQ, et al. (2013) Genome-wide binding analysis of the transcription activator IDEAL PLANT ARCHITECTURE1 reveals a complex network regulating rice plant architecture. Plant Cell 25: 3743–3759.
27. JinCY, ZangCZ, WeiG, CuiKR, PengWQ, et al. (2009) H3.3/H2A.Z double variant-containing nucleosomes mark 'nucleosome-free regions' of active promoters and other regulatory regions. Nat Genet 41: 941–945.
28. HenikoffS, HenikoffJG, SakaiA, LoebGB, AhmadK (2009) Genome-wide profiling of salt fractions maps physical properties of chromatin. Genome Res 19: 460–469.
29. ZhangY, VastenhouwNL, FengJX, FuK, WangCF, et al. (2014) Canonical nucleosome organization at promoters forms during genome activation. Genome Res 24: 260–266.
30. HeintzmanND, HonGC, HawkinsRD, KheradpourP, StarkA, et al. (2009) Histone modifications at human enhancers reflect global cell-type-specific gene expression. Nature 459: 108–112.
31. BarskiA, CuddapahS, CuiKR, RohTY, SchonesDE, et al. (2007) High-resolution profiling of histone methylations in the human genome. Cell 129: 823–837.
32. BoyleAP, DavisS, ShulhaHP, MeltzerP, MarguliesEH, et al. (2008) High-resolution mapping and characterization of open chromatin across the genome. Cell 132: 311–322.
33. LeeW, TilloD, BrayN, MorseRH, DavisRW, et al. (2007) A high-resolution atlas of nucleosome occupancy in yeast. Nat Genet 39: 1235–1244.
34. ShivaswamyS, BhingeA, ZhaoYJ, JonesS, HirstM, et al. (2008) Dynamic remodeling of individual nucleosomes across a eukaryotic genome in response to transcriptional perturbation. PLoS Biol 6: 618–630.
35. BrogaardK, XiLQ, WangJP, WidomJ (2012) A map of nucleosome positions in yeast at base-pair resolution. Nature 486: 496–501.
36. ValouevA, IchikawaJ, TonthatT, StuartJ, RanadeS, et al. (2008) A high-resolution, nucleosome position map of C. elegans reveals a lack of universal sequence-dictated positioning. Genome Res 18: 1051–1063.
37. ChodavarapuRK, FengSH, BernatavichuteYV, ChenPY, StroudH, et al. (2010) Relationship between nucleosome positioning and DNA methylation. Nature 466: 388–392.
38. WeinerA, HughesA, YassourM, RandoOJ, FriedmanN (2010) High-resolution nucleosome mapping reveals transcription-dependent promoter packaging. Genome Res 20: 90–100.
39. GkikopoulosT, SchofieldP, SinghV, PinskayaM, MellorJ, et al. (2011) A role for Snf2-related nucleosome-spacing enzymes in genome-wide nucleosome organization. Science 333: 1758–1760.
40. ZhangZH, WippoCJ, WalM, WardE, KorberP, et al. (2011) A packing mechanism for nucleosome organization reconstituted across a eukaryotic genome. Science 332: 977–980.
41. YenKY, VinayachandranV, BattaK, KoerberRT, PughBF (2012) Genome-wide nucleosome specificity and directionality of chromatin remodelers. Cell 149: 1461–1473.
42. TolstorukovMY, SansamCG, LuP, KoellhofferEC, HelmingKC, et al. (2013) Swi/Snf chromatin remodeling/tumor suppressor complex establishes nucleosome occupancy at target promoters. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110: 10165–10170.
43. KornbergRD, StryerL (1988) Statistical distributions of nucleosomes - Nonrandom locations by a stochastic mechanism. Nucleic Acids Res 16: 6677–6690.
44. FuYT, SinhaM, PetersonCL, WengZP (2008) The insulator binding protein CTCF positions 20 nucleosomes around its binding sites across the human genome. PLoS Genet 4: e1000138.
45. LiXY, ThomasS, SaboPJ, EisenMB, StamatoyannopoulosJA, et al. (2011) The role of chromatin accessibility in directing the widespread, overlapping patterns of Drosophila transcription factor binding. Genome Biol 12: 17.
46. ZhangWL, ZhangT, WuYF, JiangJM (2012) Genome-wide identification of regulatory DNA elements and protein-binding footprints using signatures of open chromatin in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 24: 2719–2731.
47. LiH, RuanJ, DurbinR (2008) Mapping short DNA sequencing reads and calling variants using mapping quality scores. Genome Res 18: 1851–1858.
48. BoyleAP, GuinneyJ, CrawfordGE, FureyTS (2008) F-Seq: a feature density estimator for high-throughput sequence tags. Bioinformatics 24: 2537–2538.
49. FloresO, OrozcoM (2011) nucleR: a package for non-parametric nucleosome positioning. Bioinformatics 27: 2149–2150.