1. MendgenK, StruckC, VoegeleRT, HahnM (2000) Biotrophy and rust haustoria. Physiol Mol Plant Pathol 56: 141–145.
2. VoegeleRT, StruckC, HahnM, MendgenK (2001) The role of haustoria in sugar supply during infection of broad bean by the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 8133–8138.
3. CatanzaritiAM, DoddsPN, LawrenceGJ, AyliffeMA, EllisJG (2006) Haustorially expressed secreted proteins from flax rust are highly enriched for avirulence elicitors. Plant Cell 18: 243–256.
4. VoegeleRT, MendgenK (2003) Rust haustoria: nutrient uptake and beyond. New Phytol 159: 93–100.
5. BozkurtTO, SchornackS, BanfieldMJ, KamounS (2012) Oomycetes, effectors, and all that jazz. Curr Opin Plant Biol 15: 483–492.
6. RafiqiM, EllisJG, LudowiciVA, HardhamAR, DoddsPN (2012) Challenges and progress towards understanding the role of effectors in plant-fungal interactions. Curr Opin Plant Biol 15: 477–482.
7. Littlefield LJ, Heath MC (1979) Ultrastructure of rust fungi. New York: Academic Press.
8. HahnM, MendgenK (1997) Characterization of in planta induced rust genes isolated from a haustorium-specific cDNA library. Mol Plant Microbe Interact 10: 427–437.
9. StruckC, ErnstM, HahnM (2002) Characterization of a developmentally regulated amino acid transporter (AAT1p) of the rust fungus Uromyces fabae. Mol Plant Pathol 3: 23–30.
10. StruckC, MuellerE, MartinH, LohausG (2004) The Uromyces fabae UfAAT3 gene encodes a general amino acid permease that prefers uptake of in planta scarce amino acids. Mol Plant Pathol 5: 183–189.
11. GarnicaDP, UpadhyayaNM, DoddsPN, RathjenJP (2013) Strategies for Wheat Stripe Rust Pathogenicity Identified by Transcriptome Sequencing. Plos One 8: e67150.
12. LinkTI, LangP, SchefflerBE, DukeMV, GrahamMA, et al. (2013) The haustorial transcriptomes of Uromyces appendiculatus and Phakopsora pachyrhizi and their candidate effector families. Mol Plant Pathol 15: 379–393.
13. DuplessisS, CuomoCA, LinYC, AertsA, TisserantE, et al. (2011) Obligate biotrophy features unraveled by the genomic analysis of rust fungi. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108: 9166–9171.
14. UpadhyayaNM, GarnicaDP, KaraogluH, NemriA, SperschneiderJ, et al. (2014) Comparative genomics of Australian stem rust (Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici) isolates reveals extensive polymorphism in candidate effector genes. Front Plant Sci In press.
15. CantuD, GovindarajuluM, KozikA, WangM, ChenX, et al. (2011) Next generation sequencing provides rapid access to the genome of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici, the causal agent of wheat stripe rust. PLoS ONE 6: e24230.
16. ZhengW, HuangL, HuangJ, WangX, ChenX, et al. (2013) High genome heterozygosity and endemic genetic recombination in the wheat stripe rust fungus. Nat Commun 4: 2673.
17. NemriA, SaundersDGO, AndersonC, UpadhyayaNM, WinJ, et al. (2014) The genome sequence and effector complement of the flax rust pathogen Melampsora lini. Front Plant Sci 5: 98.
18. KemenE, KemenAC, RafiqiM, HempelU, MendgenK, et al. (2005) Identification of a protein from rust fungi transferred from haustoria into infected plant cells. Mol Plant Microbe Interact 18: 1130–1139.
19. PretschK, KemenA, KemenE, GeigerM, MendgenK, et al. (2013) The rust transferred proteins-a new family of effector proteins exhibiting protease inhibitor function. Mol Plant Pathol 14: 96–107.
20. KemenE, KemenA, EhlersA, VoegeleR, MendgenK (2013) A novel structural effector from rust fungi is capable of fibril formation. Plant J 75: 767–780.
21. DoddsPN, LawrenceGJ, CatanzaritiAM, AyliffeMA, EllisJG (2004) The Melampsora lini AvrL567 avirulence genes are expressed in haustoria and their products are recognized inside plant cells. Plant Cell 16: 755–768.
22. BarrettLG, ThrallPH, DoddsPN, van der MerweM, LindeCC, et al. (2009) Diversity and evolution of effector loci in natural populations of the plant pathogen Melampsora lini. Mol Biol Evol 26: 2499–2513.
23. RafiqiM, GanP, RavensdaleM, LawrenceG, EllisJ, et al. (2010) Internalization of flax rust avirulence proteins into flax and tobacco cells can occur in the absence of the pathogen. Plant Cell 22: 2017–2032.
24. VeT, WilliamsSJ, CatanzaritiAM, RafiqiM, RahmanM, et al. (2013) Structures of the flax-rust effector AvrM reveal insights into the molecular basis of plant-cell entry and effector-triggered immunity. Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A 110: 17594–17599.
25. SaundersDGO, WinJ, CanoLM, SzaboLJ, KamounS, et al. (2012) Using Hierarchical Clustering of Secreted Protein Families to Classify and Rank Candidate Effectors of Rust Fungi. PLoS ONE 7: e29847.
26. CantuD, SegoviaV, MacleanD, BaylesR, ChenX, et al. (2013) Genome analyses of the wheat yellow (stripe) rust pathogen Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici reveal polymorphic and haustorial expressed secreted proteins as candidate effectors. BMC Genomics 14: 270.
27. LinkTI, VoegeleRT (2008) Secreted proteins of Uromyces fabae: similarities and stage specificity. Mol Plant Pathol 9: 59–66.
28. SperschneiderJ, YingE, DoddsPN, UpadhyayaNM, GardinerDM, et al. (2014) Adaptative Evolution in Expanded Pathogen-Associated, Effector-like Gene Families in the Stem Rust Fungus. Front Plant Sci 5: 372.
29. DoddsPN, LawrenceGJ, CatanzaritiAM, TehT, WangCIA, et al. (2006) Direct protein interaction underlies gene-for-gene specificity and coevolution of the flax resistance genes and flax rust avirulence genes. Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A 103: 8888–8893.
30. WangCIA, GuncarG, ForwoodJK, TehT, CatanzaritiAM, et al. (2007) Crystal structures of flax rust avirulence proteins AvrL567-A and -D reveal details of the structural basis for flax disease resistance specificity. Plant Cell 19: 2898–2912.
31. CatanzaritiAM, DoddsPN, VeT, KobeB, EllisJG, et al. (2010) The AvrM Effector from Flax Rust Has a Structured C-Terminal Domain and Interacts Directly with the M Resistance Protein. Mol Plant Microbe Interact 23: 49–57.
32. BruceM, NeugebauerKA, JolyDL, MigeonP, CuomoCA, et al. (2014) Using transcription of six Puccinia triticina races to identify the effective secretome during infection of wheat. Front Plant Sci 4: 520.
33. UpadhyayaNM, MagoR, StaskawiczBJ, AyliffeMA, EllisJG, et al. (2014) A Bacterial Type III Secretion Assay for Delivery of Fungal Effector Proteins into Wheat. Mol Plant Microbe Interact 27: 255–264.
34. GarnicaDP, RathjenJP (2014) Purification of fungal haustoria from infected plant tissue by flow cytometry. Methods Mol Biol 1127: 103–110.