1. Center for Systems Science and Engineering. COVID-19 dashboard by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University; 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 31]. Available from: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html.
2. Vahidy FS, Nicolas JC, Meeks JR, Khan O, Pan A, Jones SL, et al. Racial and ethnic disparities in SARS-CoV-2 pandemic: analysis of a COVID-19 observational registry for a diverse US metropolitan population. BMJ Open. 2020;10:e039849. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-039849 32784264
3. Reyes C, Husain N, Gutowski C, St. Clair S, Pratt G. Chicago’s coronavirus disparity: black Chicagoans are dying at nearly six times the rate of white residents, data show. Chicago Tribune. 2020 Apr 7.
4. Thebault R, Tran A, Williams V. The coronavirus is infecting and killing black Americans at an alarmingly high rate. Washington Post. 2020 Apr 7.
5. Deslatte M. Louisiana data: virus hits blacks, people with hypertension. AP News. 2020 Apr 7.
6. Garg S, Kim L, Whitaker M, O’Halloran A, Cummings C, Holstein R, et al. Hospitalization rates and characteristics of patients hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed coronavirus disease 2019—COVID-NET, 14 states, March 1–30, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69(15):458–64. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6915e3 32298251
7. Rast J, Martinez YC, Williams LH. Milwaukee’s coronavirus racial divide: a report on the early stages of COVID-19 spread in Milwaukee County 2020. Milwaukee: Center for Economic Development; 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 31]. Available from: https://dc.uwm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1053&context=ced_pubs.
8. Rodriguez-Diaz CE, Guilamo-Ramos V, Mena L, Hall E, Honermann B, Crowley JS, et al. Risk for COVID-19 infection and death among Latinos in the United States: examining heterogeneity in transmission dynamics. Ann Epidemiol. 2020 Jul 22. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2020.07.007 32711053
9. Price-Haywood EG, Burton J, Fort D, Seoane L. Hospitalization and mortality among black patients and white patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:2534–43. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa2011686 32459916
10. Pareek M, Bangash MN, Pareek N, Pan D, Sze S, Minhas JS, et al. Ethnicity and COVID-19: an urgent public health research priority. Lancet. 2020;395:1421–2. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30922-3 32330427
11. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z, et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2020;395(10229):1054–62. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30566-3 32171076
12. Grasselli G, Zangrillo A, Zanella A, Antonelli M, Cabrini L, Castelli A, et al. Baseline characteristics and outcomes of 1591 patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 admitted to ICUs of the Lombardy Region, Italy. JAMA. 2020;323(16):1574–81. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.5394 32250385
13. CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Preliminary estimates of the prevalence of selected underlying health conditions among patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019—United States, February 12–March 28, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 69(13):382–6. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6913e2 32240123
14. Bhatraju PK, Ghassemieh BJ, Nichols M, Kim R, Jerome KR, Nalla AK, et al. Covid-19 in critically ill patients in the Seattle region—case series. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:2012–22. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2004500 32227758
15. Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 2020;323(13):1239–42. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.2648 32091533
16. Rentsch CT, Kidwai-Khan F, Tate JP, Park LS, King JT, Skanderson M, et al. Covid-19 testing, hospital admission, and intensive care among 2,026,227 United States veterans aged 54–75 years. medRxiv. 2020 Apr 14. doi: 10.1101/2020.04.09.20059964 32511595
17. Abrams TE, Vaughan-Sarrazin M, Kaboli PJ. Mortality and revascularization following admission for acute myocardial infarction: implication for rural veterans. J Rural Health. 2010;26(4):310–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2010.00318.x 21029165
18. McGinnis KA, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Justice AC, Shahrir S, Butt AA, et al. Validating smoking data from the Veteran’s Affairs Health Factors dataset, an electronic data source. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13(12):1233–9. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntr206 21911825
19. Fiellin DA, Reid MC, O’Connor PG. Screening for alcohol problems in primary care: a systematic review. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160(13):1977–89. doi: 10.1001/archinte.160.13.1977 10888972
20. United States Census Bureau. 2010 Census regions and divisions of the United States. Suitland (MD): United States Census Bureau; 2018 [cited 2020 Jul 30]. Available from: https://www.census.gov/geographies/reference-maps/2010/geo/2010-census-regions-and-divisions-of-the-united-states.html.
21. Griffith G, Morris TM, Tudball M, Herbert A, Mancano G, Pike L, et al. Collider bias undermines our understanding of COVID-19 disease risk and severity. medRxiv. 2020 May 20. doi: 10.1101/2020.05.04.20090506
22. Hoerster KD, Lehavot K, Simpson T, McFall M, Reiber G, Nelson KM. Health and health behavior differences: U.S. Military, veteran, and civilian men. Am J Prev Med. 2012;43(5):483–9. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2012.07.029 23079170
23. Lehavot K, Hoerster KD, Nelson KM, Jakupcak M, Simpson TL. Health indicators for military, veteran, and civilian women. Am J Prev Med. 2012;42(5):473–80. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2012.01.006 22516487
24. RAND Health. Current and projected characteristics and unique health care needs of the patient population served by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Santa Monica (CA): RAND Corporation; 2015.
25. Khunti K, Singh AK, Pareek M, Hanif W. Is ethnicity linked to incidence or outcomes of covid-19? BMJ. 2020;369:m1548. doi: 10.1136/bmj.m1548 32312785
26. Williamson EJ, Walker AJ, Bhaskaran K, Bacon S, Bates C, Morton CE, et al. Factors associated with COVID-19-related death using OpenSAFELY. Nature. 2020;584:430–6. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-2521-4 32640463
27. Peterson K, Anderson J, Boundy E, Ferguson L, McCleery E, Waldrip K. Mortality disparities in racial/ethnic minority groups in the Veterans Health Administration: an evidence review and map. Am J Public Health. 2018;108(3):e1–11. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2017.304246 29412713
28. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu-related hospitalizations and deaths in the United States from April 2009–January 30, 2010. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2010 [cited 2020 Apr 2]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/hosp_deaths_ahdra.htm.
29. Hutchins SS, Fiscella K, Levine RS, Ompad DC, McDonald M. Protection of racial/ethnic minority populations during an influenza pandemic. Am J Public Health. 2009;99(Suppl 2):S261–70. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.161505 19797739
30. Fothergill A, Maestas EG, Darlington JD. Race, ethnicity and disasters in the United States: a review of the literature. Disasters. 1999;23(2):156–73. doi: 10.1111/1467-7717.00111 10379098
31. Thomas D, Phillips B, Lovekamp W, Fothergill A. Social vulnerability to disasters. Boca Raton (FL): Taylor & Francis Group; 2013.
32. Bolin B, Kurtz LC. Race, class, ethnicity, and disaster vulnerability. In: Rodríguez H, Donner W, Trainor J, editors. Handbook of disaster research. Berlin: Springer; 2018. pp. 181–203.
33. Resnick A, Galea S, Sivashanker K. Covid-19: the painful price of ignoring health inequities. BMJ Opinion. 2020 Mar 18 [cited 2020 Jul 27]. Available from: https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/03/18/covid-19-the-painful-price-of-ignoring-health-inequities/.
34. Hooper MW, Nápoles AM, Pérez-Stable EJ. COVID-19 and racial/ethnic disparities. JAMA. 2020;323(24):2466–7. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.8598 32391864
35. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health equity considerations & racial & ethnic minority groups. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2020 [cited 2020 Sep 2]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/racial-ethnic-minorities.html.
36. Berchick E, Barnett J, Upton R. Health insurance coverage in the United States: 2018. Current Population Reports, P60-267(RV). Suitland (MD): United States Census Bureau; 2019.
37. United States Census Bureau. Racial and ethnic residential segregation in the United States: 1980–2000. Suitland (MD): United States Census Bureau; 2002 [cited 2020 Jul 31]. Available from: https://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/censr-3.pdf.
38. Fisher KA, Barile JP, Guerin RJ, Vanden Esschert KL, Jeffers A, Tian LH, et al. Factors associated with cloth face covering use among adults during the COVID-19 pandemic—United States, April and May 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69(28):933–7. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6928e3 32673303
39. NYC Health. COVID-19: data. New York: NYC Health; 2020 [cited 2020 May 12]. Available from: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page.
40. Chicago Department of Public Health. Latest data. Chicago: City of Chicago; 2020 May 11 [cited 2020 May 12]. Available from: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/latest-data.html.