1. ZhouH, ThompsonWW, ViboudCG, RingholzCM, ChengPY, et al. (2012) Hospitalizations associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States, 1993–2008. Clin Infect Dis 54: 1427–1436.
2. HallCB, WeinbergGA, IwaneMK, BlumkinAK, EdwardsKM, et al. (2009) The burden of respiratory syncytial virus infection in young children. N Engl J Med 360: 588–598.
3. ThompsonWW, ShayDK, WeintraubE, BrammerL, CoxN, et al. (2003) Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. JAMA 289: 179–186.
4. NairH, NokesDJ, GessnerBD, DheraniM, MadhiSA, et al. (2010) Global burden of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 375: 1545–1555.
5. MahadeviaPJ, MasaquelAS, PolakMJ, WeinerLB (2012) Cost utility of palivizumab prophylaxis among pre-term infants in the United States: a national policy perspective. J Med Econ 15: 987–996.
6. WelliverTP, GarofaloRP, HosakoteY, HintzKH, AvendanoL, et al. (2007) Severe human lower respiratory tract illness caused by respiratory syncytial virus and influenza virus is characterized by the absence of pulmonary cytotoxic lymphocyte responses. J Infect Dis 195: 1126–1136.
7. MooreML, ChiMH, LuongoC, LukacsNW, PolosukhinVV, et al. (2009) A chimeric A2 strain of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) with the fusion protein of RSV strain line 19 exhibits enhanced viral load, mucus, and airway dysfunction. J Virol 83: 4185–4194.
8. Boyoglu-BarnumS, GastonKA, ToddSO, BoyogluC, ChirkovaT, et al. (2013) A respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) anti-G protein F(ab′)2 monoclonal antibody suppresses mucous production and breathing effort in RSV rA2-line19F-infected Balb/c mice. J Virol 87: 10955–10967.
9. LeeS, StokesKL, CurrierMG, SakamotoK, LukacsNW, et al. (2012) Vaccine-Elicited CD8+ T Cells Protect against Respiratory Syncytial Virus Strain A2-Line19F-Induced Pathogenesis in BALB/c Mice. J Virol 86: 13016–13024.
10. StokesKL, ChiMH, SakamotoK, NewcombDC, CurrierMG, et al. (2011) Differential pathogenesis of respiratory syncytial virus clinical isolates in BALB/c mice. J Virol 85: 5782–5793.
11. OhumaEO, OkiroEA, OcholaR, SandeCJ, CanePA, et al. (2012) The natural history of respiratory syncytial virus in a birth cohort: the influence of age and previous infection on reinfection and disease. Am J Epidemiol 176: 794–802.
12. WrightPF, GruberWC, PetersM, ReedG, ZhuY, et al. (2002) Illness severity, viral shedding, and antibody responses in infants hospitalized with bronchiolitis caused by respiratory syncytial virus. J Infect Dis 185: 1011–1018.
13. LukensMV, van de PolAC, CoenjaertsFE, JansenNJ, KampVM, et al. (2010) A systemic neutrophil response precedes robust CD8(+) T-cell activation during natural respiratory syncytial virus infection in infants. J Virol 84: 2374–2383.
14. SandeCJ, MutungaMN, MedleyGF, CanePA, NokesDJ (2013) Group- and genotype-specific neutralizing antibody responses against respiratory syncytial virus in infants and young children with severe pneumonia. J Infect Dis 207: 489–492.
15. McLellanJS, ChenM, LeungS, GraepelKW, DuX, et al. (2013) Structure of RSV Fusion Glycoprotein Trimer Bound to a Prefusion-Specific Neutralizing Antibody. Science 340: 1113–1117.
16. CortiD, BianchiS, VanzettaF, MinolaA, PerezL, et al. (2013) Cross-neutralization of four paramyxoviruses by a human monoclonal antibody. Nature 501: 439–443.
17. MagroM, MasV, ChappellK, VazquezM, CanoO, et al. (2012) Neutralizing antibodies against the preactive form of respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein offer unique possibilities for clinical intervention. PNAS 109: 3089–3094.
18. MunirS, HillyerP, Le NouenC, BuchholzUJ, RabinRL, et al. (2011) Respiratory syncytial virus interferon antagonist NS1 protein suppresses and skews the human T lymphocyte response. PLoS Pathog 7: e1001336.
19. LingZ, TranKC, TengMN (2009) Human respiratory syncytial virus nonstructural protein NS2 antagonizes the activation of beta interferon transcription by interacting with RIG-I. J Virol 83: 3734–3742.
20. RamaswamyM, ShiL, VargaSM, BarikS, BehlkeMA, et al. (2006) Respiratory syncytial virus nonstructural protein 2 specifically inhibits type I interferon signal transduction. Virology 344: 328–339.
21. BukreyevA, YangL, CollinsPL (2012) The secreted G protein of human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) antagonizes antibody-mediated restriction of replication involving macrophages and complement. J Virol 86: 10880–10884.
22. GrahamBS (2011) Biological challenges and technological opportunities for respiratory syncytial virus vaccine development. Immunol Rev 239: 149–166.
23. KarronRA, WrightPF, BelsheRB, ThumarB, CaseyR, et al. (2005) Identification of a recombinant live attenuated respiratory syncytial virus vaccine candidate that is highly attenuated in infants. J Infect Dis 191: 1093–1104.
24. HotardAL, ShaikhFY, LeeS, YanD, TengMN, et al. (2012) A stabilized respiratory syncytial virus reverse genetics system amenable to recombination-mediated mutagenesis. Virology 434: 129–136.
25. El SaleebyCM, BushAJ, HarrisonLM, AitkenJA, DevincenzoJP (2011) Respiratory syncytial virus load, viral dynamics, and disease severity in previously healthy naturally infected children. J Infect Dis 204: 996–1002.